Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Back in Sweet Salone

So far there’s been no real rain since I arrived, although I’m told there was a bit of rain in Freetown just before we landed at Lungi (as evidenced by the large pools of water).

I had a full compliment of choices on how to get to Freetown from Lungi last night- hovercraft, helicopter or ferry. I still haven’t used the hovercraft, although I’m told it’s a pretty decent journey and before I leave I do intend to do so, but I was tempted by the swiftness of the helicopter (even waiting around in the heliport for a bit didn’t delay us much) and so I was home by 9:30pm, where awaited another pleasant surprise- NPA was on. Not only was NPA on, it stayed on until at least 8:10am this morning, when I left for work! I’m hoping that this will be characteristic of my last few months in Sierra Leone, but I’ll try not to get my hopes up too much. However, considering that I wasn’t particularly excited about coming back to the dysfunctional lifestyle that has characterised much of my time here, a swift journey home from the airport as well as power on the whole evening, it was something that definitely cheered me up a bit!

The big news here at the moment is the landing of a cocaine plane, which landed on the apparently unlit runway of Lungi airport and then taxied to a corner of the airport far away from the terminal, a Landrover then rushed to the plane and picked up the people on board and fled. Lots of people were arrested in connection with this and the Minister of Transport and Aviation has now been relieved of his position, from what I’ve heard, it’s suspected (by the Freetown rumour-mill) that he and or his brother were closely involved in this saga. The President has sworn to bring to justice all those responsible for this, although critics are expecting him to try and protect the former Minister. All told, it will probably continue for a long time as each piece of the puzzle is carefully picked over, I hope that if heads high up were involved that they are rolled as this may eventually bring people to have more faith and confidence in the SL legal system as one where justice is done to all.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:47 am, Anonymous Rajdeep singh mandloi said...

Hi! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I genuinely enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend any other Beauty Guest Post blogs that go over the same topics? Thanks a ton!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home